Skip to main content

Out West

When you go into a village, as a foreigner, it is important to follow the rules of culture. Many times, being a foreigner in a place so far outside of the norm, can get you into trouble. I won't go into the deep details of why Malagasy people in the village are hesitant towards white foreigners...but let your imagination take you to Pocahontas and you have a similar idea.

Most villages are so far out, it is hard to get to them. This is the exact reason much of Madagascar remains untouched by the Gospel. The villages are hard to get to and a lot of learning is still to be done once you arrive at these far off places. A village is just a bundle of a few modest Malagasy homes within a small area. Sometimes, though, villages can stretch from the main group of homes to one outlying home that can be kilometers away. Visiting these outlying homes requires lots of travel by foot...something I am not well adept at doing. Through bushes, sand, rocks, and sometimes water, the people on the other side of those obstacles are kind and welcoming.

Language is hard. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Being in constant practice is very important. For this reason, I have ventured into nearby villages to practice among the people. To speak and listen. To ask questions about culture. To learn what is difficult for the people and to invest my life where it matters most in theirs.

It is customary in this culture to gain permission from the leaders of an area to come in, as a foreigner, and be with the people. Because of the reasons I mentioned at the beginning, it is very important to not only show respect, but for safety. So, I traveled west with my language teacher. She and I prayed the entire trip because the road was...well....scary. We traveled until the road became a footpath. I decided that it was best to turn around, since there was no village in sight ahead, but we had passed a few on the way.

We stopped at a group of homes and asked where the leader was. The man told us back by the main road we came from. So, we headed in that direction. Made a few brief stops along the way to make sure we were going the right direction, and eventually made it to the path to the leader's home. We were told he lived down the path, but that he wasn't home. We turned around to walk back to the vehicle, and low and behold, he was walking towards us with his hand outstretched. We greeted each other and followed him to his home.

Upon entering, I asked for his permission to come and learn among the people under his care. He granted me permission, then told me to return the following Sunday to be introduced to the counsel. I was amazed. This was the first permission I had asked for, and not only did he give me permission, but he was introducing me to the counsel of elders in the area! It was a complete God moment. My language, in my opinion, was not good enough to ask, but God spoke through me. Amazing.

So, the following Sunday, I arrived back to meet the elders. I was told to wait by the road until it was ok to come, so I did. Once it was ok, I walked towards the group of men sitting under the shade of a blooming litchi tree. He introduced me and I spoke a little about what I was there to do. He promised to come with me to meet the other leaders of each village, for the next month.

The men all spoke of how they were happy I had come and how glad they were I had come to learn culture in their respective villages. Each leader I have met since then has been nothing short of gracious. Sometimes it is difficult for me to understand, but their smiles and hospitality are encouraging. Each leader has welcomed me and told me that I am able to visit whenever I'd like to. One even said that next time I should stay for a meal!

God is opening doors here and it is awesome to see. This is just the beginning and I am so excited! I see open doors and hearts ready to hear the Gospel. I cannot wait to jump in and share the hope that I have found in Jesus!
Looking off a mountain towards the ocean in the distance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sight to the Blind

About 35 kilometers north of Manakara is a place called Asasaina. About 3 years ago, Ancil met a man who then invited him to his home on the side of the road. For 2 1/2 years they met under a mango tree. The man stopped coming, but the group began to grow in number. About 6 months ago, 4 leading men from the village started attending. Ever the skeptics, they sat and asked hard questions. Ancil could tell they were strong men who would eventually be strong leaders in the church, if this group ever became one. Many faithful children, women, and young people continued to come and learn. One woman even left to follow Islam for awhile but realized the truth is Jesus and returned. The men sat and asked many, many questions. Searching to find truth. A few months ago, Ancil's family came from Miami and did a vision clinic. This clinic was to strengthen existing churches and help show compassion to outsiders. These clinics were wildly successful! The gospel was shared at each p

Team Spotlight: Hermes

Hermes. I first met Hermes in 2013 during my Hands On semester. He became really close with Kai and the two of them did a lot together! I didn't really know Hermes a great deal back then. What I knew, I of course loved! He was always willing to teach about Malagasy culture and how to make coffee. And I knew he loved guitar! Hermes then and Hermes now are like 2 different people. When I moved to Madagascar, I was very excited to see him! I didn't know what our friendship had in store, but I was excited to build on what was there from before. As before, Hermes has always been willing to help. Even though he is much younger than me, I have appreciated his willingness and desire to help. Whether it is helping me know the best way to speak to someone or being the brother that makes sure no one messes with me or calling me out, in love, when I start walking in my own ways instead of the Lord's, he is always ready. It has been a joy to watch him in ministry too. I cannot tel

Brave

Two weeks ago, it rained for 2 days straight. If you need to know anything about Madagascar, its that most of the roads here are NOT paved. This means there usually isn't a road that isn't full of potholes, crevices deep enough to hide soldiers in in the event of war, and red clay that just makes everything worse when wet. This particular time, I had been traveling to a different city and didn't know that it had rained. This is problematic only on 1 road that I travel weekly. My national partner and I gear up and head for the village. On the way, I realize that the road was still very wet from the rain. This road has 2 main problem areas. The first being a small hill that is completely slick (meaning no rocks or crevices) red clay. Got up that hill. Thank goodness for 4wd! The second problem area, not as exciting. This is a picture of this specific hill when it's dry This hill is high. It has two main crevices and what isn't in the crevice are rocks. There i