Skip to main content

a week in the village

Well, I think it's about time I updated you on our trip to visit the very rural village of AKZ. This village is located near the rain forest and is about a 1 hour hike through streams and mountains. I was stretched...both physically and mentally...but loved every minute (even loved it through my tears of pain).

We arrived to the entry of the hiking trail around mid morning. I don't know what I had prepared myself for, but it wasn't what I saw or expected. The first mountain was downhill...easy peasy? NO. It was downhill, on dry clay. There were quite a few times I think I saw my life flash before my eyes.

I do need to mention that, I had prepared a rather large pack. It was full of belongings that I needed to survive a week in the village. Upon our arrival, the sweetest Malagasy family showed up to accompany us. The eldest daughter, who was petite, about 25 years old, and not wearing shoes, insisted on carrying my pack. Before leaving, I weighed my pack at 26lbs.

Anyways, the hike was beautiful and difficult. I ended up getting some pretty nasty blisters on my ankles that haven't fully healed yet. They hurt, but right outside the village, I stepped in water and I think I would have rather chop my feet off at the ankle at that point.

We entered the village, and were graciously received in their village visitor house. We were all a sweaty, stinky mess, but it was so nice to sit and rest for awhile. After resting a bit, we set up our tents, and went about learning. 

We learned about the layout of the village. Where the nearest clinic was, if there was a school in the village, and where to find water. We learned so much in this small village. We learned the spiritual condition of people there and what they struggle with daily. It was very eye opening, and gave me just a glimpse into Malagasy culture.

The same sweet family that met us at the trail-head are believers. They opened their home to us. Megan and I even got to stay a night with them and share a meal. They are the absolute most gracious people. I loved meeting with them every day for meals. The father of the family taught us a Malagasy game! We never mastered it...and I don't think I ever will! But it was fun to watch them play and try to teach us!

The family has been facing hard times in their village. They are dedicated to studying God's word and making His name famous in their village. No matter the trial, they are fully sold out to Christ. He changed their lives, and it is SO evident. When we left the village we were able to encourage them with a verse. Immediately, I was reminded of Ephesians 1:15-23 which says:

For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hop to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

It's a long passage, but it is oh so good. Their faith preceded them. They were known around their village because of their faith. They stepped out, as a family, for the sake of Christ. They faced persecution and never faltered. They are who I am thankful for. They are making a difference in lives for eternity.

Oh to be known for my faith. For people to love Jesus because of how I love Him and the people around me. I pray for the faith that is radical and stands against the fiery trials of life. Because they will come, and when they do, I want my Lord to receive all the glory. Forever and ever. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sight to the Blind

About 35 kilometers north of Manakara is a place called Asasaina. About 3 years ago, Ancil met a man who then invited him to his home on the side of the road. For 2 1/2 years they met under a mango tree. The man stopped coming, but the group began to grow in number. About 6 months ago, 4 leading men from the village started attending. Ever the skeptics, they sat and asked hard questions. Ancil could tell they were strong men who would eventually be strong leaders in the church, if this group ever became one. Many faithful children, women, and young people continued to come and learn. One woman even left to follow Islam for awhile but realized the truth is Jesus and returned. The men sat and asked many, many questions. Searching to find truth. A few months ago, Ancil's family came from Miami and did a vision clinic. This clinic was to strengthen existing churches and help show compassion to outsiders. These clinics were wildly successful! The gospel was shared at each p

Team Spotlight: Hermes

Hermes. I first met Hermes in 2013 during my Hands On semester. He became really close with Kai and the two of them did a lot together! I didn't really know Hermes a great deal back then. What I knew, I of course loved! He was always willing to teach about Malagasy culture and how to make coffee. And I knew he loved guitar! Hermes then and Hermes now are like 2 different people. When I moved to Madagascar, I was very excited to see him! I didn't know what our friendship had in store, but I was excited to build on what was there from before. As before, Hermes has always been willing to help. Even though he is much younger than me, I have appreciated his willingness and desire to help. Whether it is helping me know the best way to speak to someone or being the brother that makes sure no one messes with me or calling me out, in love, when I start walking in my own ways instead of the Lord's, he is always ready. It has been a joy to watch him in ministry too. I cannot tel

Brave

Two weeks ago, it rained for 2 days straight. If you need to know anything about Madagascar, its that most of the roads here are NOT paved. This means there usually isn't a road that isn't full of potholes, crevices deep enough to hide soldiers in in the event of war, and red clay that just makes everything worse when wet. This particular time, I had been traveling to a different city and didn't know that it had rained. This is problematic only on 1 road that I travel weekly. My national partner and I gear up and head for the village. On the way, I realize that the road was still very wet from the rain. This road has 2 main problem areas. The first being a small hill that is completely slick (meaning no rocks or crevices) red clay. Got up that hill. Thank goodness for 4wd! The second problem area, not as exciting. This is a picture of this specific hill when it's dry This hill is high. It has two main crevices and what isn't in the crevice are rocks. There i