Skip to main content

Lessons from the Field

In preparation for life overseas, we were prepped with all the tools necessary. We were warned of the pitfalls that happen to many workers on the field. I left with a hefty tool bag and an idealized picture of mission work. All these tools are helpful, but there have been many times that I have thought, "man, I wasn't prepared for THIS." So, in order to somehow help people that come after me, I've created a short list of things that I've learned in my short (though it felt long) 2 years on the field.

1. People are sinners.

Now, I know you're thinking that this is a given. And I even know that you probably think I'm crazy for putting it at the number 1 spot. But let me tell you that people are sinners to their very core. Nothing about us is good. The only good thing about me is the Jesus I serve. Nothing else is good. People will, forever, disappoint you. God, however, will NEVER disappoint. This helps in dealing with people that have never heard of Jesus before. It reminds you that He is good...and loves all people. But, it also helps in dealing with people who have known Jesus for a very long time. Either way, remember, people are sinners. They are not perfect. Only one person has ever been perfect and He is the reason we live and breathe.

2. Culture makes up a person

I came to the field ready to throw my American culture straight out the window. I also didn't really think America had a strong culture....boy was I wrong. From simple things like expecting to have power 24/7 to serving food in an orderly fashion, my American culture radiates from my soul. I try to suppress it, but let me tell you, its not so far below the surface of my life. Every person I share the Gospel with has a different culture from me. Now, I know about a lot of these facets of culture, but I am not Malagasy, so I will never fully understand. Even when I'm questioned on why I do certain things, I don't have any other explanation than "that's just how we do it in America." Remember this and adjust your life to it. You will barely scratch the surface of someone's life before seeing their culture shine through. Some things will be silly, some will be logical, but some things can be an open door to sharing the greatest news ever!

3. Spend time with your people

This also seems like a given expectation of any cross-cultural worker, but it should be said that if you don't get out among your people, you will never know them. Make friends. Go to the concert with some youth. Speak at the english club whenever you get a chance. Be part of the community. Allow the kids to yell your name and stand on your fence just to say hello. Not only that, let the kids know your name so you aren't just "foreigner". Smile. Laugh. Live. Just take a step outside your gate. The first step is always the hardest, but always the best decision in the end.

4. Make mistakes

It is often said that "missionaries" are super Christians. I can assure you that we are not. The term "missionary" often has a negative connotation associated with it. Many people have been hurt by well-meaning missionaries. Sometimes the mission has suffered because of past missionary presence. I am not perfect. I do like to do things perfectly though. I don't like to look foolish. So, in language learning and cultural learning, I strive to be perfect. But, like I said above, I am not Malagasy, so mistakes are inevitable. In one week I was told "you know everything about the Bible" but a few days later forgot the passage reference of a story I teach almost weekly. Mistakes happen. Allow them to happen. Apologize for them. I tell my friends that we are the same all the time, we just have different skin colors. But I think one of the greatest things that levels the playing field between me and my Malagasy friends is them seeing that I'm just as human as they are.

5. Love your people

Again, this might seem like an expected role of a cross-cultural worker, but I have seen what it means to love your people and what it means to think you're better than them. And believe me, they can see it even clearer than you can. I once heard a quote that went something along the lines of "people will more readily listen to what you have to say if you love them." This is true in any culture. Even more so when there is a stigma that goes with your skin color. Many people are wary of what I have to say because of the experience in their country with people of my same skin color. But one thing transcends skin color, gender, culture....and its love. And let me be the first to tell you that you can never give love, if you don't know love. Love is powerful. Love is beautiful. Love has a name. Love's name is Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sight to the Blind

About 35 kilometers north of Manakara is a place called Asasaina. About 3 years ago, Ancil met a man who then invited him to his home on the side of the road. For 2 1/2 years they met under a mango tree. The man stopped coming, but the group began to grow in number. About 6 months ago, 4 leading men from the village started attending. Ever the skeptics, they sat and asked hard questions. Ancil could tell they were strong men who would eventually be strong leaders in the church, if this group ever became one. Many faithful children, women, and young people continued to come and learn. One woman even left to follow Islam for awhile but realized the truth is Jesus and returned. The men sat and asked many, many questions. Searching to find truth. A few months ago, Ancil's family came from Miami and did a vision clinic. This clinic was to strengthen existing churches and help show compassion to outsiders. These clinics were wildly successful! The gospel was shared at each p

Team Spotlight: Hermes

Hermes. I first met Hermes in 2013 during my Hands On semester. He became really close with Kai and the two of them did a lot together! I didn't really know Hermes a great deal back then. What I knew, I of course loved! He was always willing to teach about Malagasy culture and how to make coffee. And I knew he loved guitar! Hermes then and Hermes now are like 2 different people. When I moved to Madagascar, I was very excited to see him! I didn't know what our friendship had in store, but I was excited to build on what was there from before. As before, Hermes has always been willing to help. Even though he is much younger than me, I have appreciated his willingness and desire to help. Whether it is helping me know the best way to speak to someone or being the brother that makes sure no one messes with me or calling me out, in love, when I start walking in my own ways instead of the Lord's, he is always ready. It has been a joy to watch him in ministry too. I cannot tel

Brave

Two weeks ago, it rained for 2 days straight. If you need to know anything about Madagascar, its that most of the roads here are NOT paved. This means there usually isn't a road that isn't full of potholes, crevices deep enough to hide soldiers in in the event of war, and red clay that just makes everything worse when wet. This particular time, I had been traveling to a different city and didn't know that it had rained. This is problematic only on 1 road that I travel weekly. My national partner and I gear up and head for the village. On the way, I realize that the road was still very wet from the rain. This road has 2 main problem areas. The first being a small hill that is completely slick (meaning no rocks or crevices) red clay. Got up that hill. Thank goodness for 4wd! The second problem area, not as exciting. This is a picture of this specific hill when it's dry This hill is high. It has two main crevices and what isn't in the crevice are rocks. There i