Skip to main content

Ignorance is Bliss...Sometimes

The first invasion was noticed upon my return from a 2 week training. I was very tired. Excited to be in my own house, sleeping in my own bed, taking a shower in my own shower. So, you can imagine the shock (and horror) of finding poop scattered all over the floor of my shower when I arrived home. After many google searches, I determined it was, in fact, a rat.

*I would like to give a disclaimer and say that up until now, there has been no rat presence around my home.

A bottle of bleach and half a bottle of VIM (comet type cleaner) later, I had a clean shower, a clearer head and slept semi-peacefully. Until, I woke up the next morning to that dumb rodent had used the toilet in my CLEAN shower AGAIN! So, a friend sent me the instructions to a trap they had made and used with success. So, I made said trap, and CAUGHT THE RODENT! I was so proud and excited that life could get back to normal. So, I took the trap out of my shower, put it on the back porch, and cleaned my shower (with 2 bottles of bleach, 1 bottle of VIM, and half a bottle of toilet cleaner).

As I laid my head down that night, I heard splashing outside. I thought it was rain, so I didn't really think anything of it. UNTIL I REALIZED WHAT WAS HAPPENING. There was possibly another rodent in that trap that I had forgotten was outside. So, I cracked open my back door, just wide enough to see what was in the bucket. Sure enough. Rat. Guard killed it. I am happy again because I have rid my home of rodents that decided to lease it without payment while I was gone.

All was well, until yesterday.

Yesterday, I got up and began my normal Sunday morning routine. I went to church and came back for lunch. I was very proud of myself, because I had caught what was plaguing me. I removed my "thorn in the flesh" if you will. I learned, that I can be very prideful when I think I know things (Enneagram 2 weakness right there...). As I was getting my lunch ready, I noticed what looked like gecko poop near where I was standing. Now, as another disclaimer, geckos and their poop are everywhere and have to be cleaned on the daily....not a new fact of life. Upon closer look, I realize that this is NOT gecko poop. So, naturally, I start banging around...trying to extract the rodent that is for sure lurking somewhere in the shadows. Sure enough, he scurried out from his hiding place, effectively sending me screaming AND running to the neighbor's yard. I yelled through the window asking for assistance and the husband neighbor came out, with their german shepherd dog, to find the rodent.

They see it, jump around the kitchen, but unfortunately said rodent gets away. I learned yesterday that pride does, in fact, come before the fall. I also learned a lot of things about myself during that incident yesterday.

I learned that I am not strong when it comes to rodents and will scream at the mere sight of one. I learned that if the same thing happens over and over, I will be worn down and cry. I learned that my dog will not hunt the rodents in my house, only the ones in my yard in the middle of night. I was reminded that I have great neighbors that will search out the rodents and then let me hang at their house (and feed me) while I await the capture of the rodent. I was reminded that I do not have it all together (like I like to trick myself into thinking I do). I was reminded that God is good....even when there are rats. He provided for me. He gave me friends that have "been there done that". He gave me a guard that will gladly kill any rodent that enters my house. He gave me a home that is cozy and warm (you know...for me and the mouse in my kitchen). He gave me food that not only feeds me and my friends, but the animals as well.

He tells us not to worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow has enough troubles of its own. Man, I have never believed that more than I do right now. And I pray that I never forget it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sight to the Blind

About 35 kilometers north of Manakara is a place called Asasaina. About 3 years ago, Ancil met a man who then invited him to his home on the side of the road. For 2 1/2 years they met under a mango tree. The man stopped coming, but the group began to grow in number. About 6 months ago, 4 leading men from the village started attending. Ever the skeptics, they sat and asked hard questions. Ancil could tell they were strong men who would eventually be strong leaders in the church, if this group ever became one. Many faithful children, women, and young people continued to come and learn. One woman even left to follow Islam for awhile but realized the truth is Jesus and returned. The men sat and asked many, many questions. Searching to find truth. A few months ago, Ancil's family came from Miami and did a vision clinic. This clinic was to strengthen existing churches and help show compassion to outsiders. These clinics were wildly successful! The gospel was shared at each p

Team Spotlight: Hermes

Hermes. I first met Hermes in 2013 during my Hands On semester. He became really close with Kai and the two of them did a lot together! I didn't really know Hermes a great deal back then. What I knew, I of course loved! He was always willing to teach about Malagasy culture and how to make coffee. And I knew he loved guitar! Hermes then and Hermes now are like 2 different people. When I moved to Madagascar, I was very excited to see him! I didn't know what our friendship had in store, but I was excited to build on what was there from before. As before, Hermes has always been willing to help. Even though he is much younger than me, I have appreciated his willingness and desire to help. Whether it is helping me know the best way to speak to someone or being the brother that makes sure no one messes with me or calling me out, in love, when I start walking in my own ways instead of the Lord's, he is always ready. It has been a joy to watch him in ministry too. I cannot tel

Brave

Two weeks ago, it rained for 2 days straight. If you need to know anything about Madagascar, its that most of the roads here are NOT paved. This means there usually isn't a road that isn't full of potholes, crevices deep enough to hide soldiers in in the event of war, and red clay that just makes everything worse when wet. This particular time, I had been traveling to a different city and didn't know that it had rained. This is problematic only on 1 road that I travel weekly. My national partner and I gear up and head for the village. On the way, I realize that the road was still very wet from the rain. This road has 2 main problem areas. The first being a small hill that is completely slick (meaning no rocks or crevices) red clay. Got up that hill. Thank goodness for 4wd! The second problem area, not as exciting. This is a picture of this specific hill when it's dry This hill is high. It has two main crevices and what isn't in the crevice are rocks. There i