Skip to main content

The Great Medicine

I have been visiting a specific area to the west of Manakara for about 4-5 months now. I have made some good contacts in this area and enjoy the honest answers I get to questions I ask about Malagasy culture.  There is one specific village I have been visiting every week for the past 4 weeks now.

The first time I entered this village, I met with the mpanjaka, or king, of the village. He was very warm and inviting and kind. I was instantly drawn to him and knew he would be a good soil to sow seed. The next few visits, there was a funeral and he was not there. However, his wife was each time. We visited with her that week and weeks following. You could instantly see the walls that had been built up around her heart. Walls that were built with culture and decorated with animism.

Fast forward to this week. We went, armed with stories from scripture, because we knew those are the only things that can extinguish the walls the enemy has built in this couple's hearts. We arrived, and the wife was not there. While unexpected, given her body language from the previous week's conversation, I knew it could have been a possibility. The king was there, however, and proceeded to ask many questions regarding our previous conversation. He asked questions like "if you're here to share the gospel, why are you asking about the ancestors?" and "who killed Jesus? People or God?" After we answered his questions, and a clear gospel presentation was given, it came time for a response.

His response was "I can't trust myself to get there."

This conversation happened after that response:
Me: If your daughter was dying, and you had the only medicine that could save her, what would you do?
Him: I would try to make her take it.
Me: And what would happen if she didn't take it?
Him: She would die, and it shows she's trusting in something else.
Me: Jesus is the medicine. We know He is the medicine and we want you to take it. We can't force you to take it, but we know it will save you.
Him: But how do you know? You can't see him. No one can see him.
National Partner: Faith. Blessed are those who have believed even though they cannot see.

Leaving that conversation left me with a mixture of emotions. It was a good conversation and showed that the king was really thinking about what had been said in previous weeks. But it also left me sad. Sad that the enemy has such a hold on this place. Sad that his wife's heart is very hardened. Sad that I couldn't do anything to convince him that day.

In that moment, God whispered to me "since when is it your job to save him, Tiffany?" The reality is, is that it isn't my job, nor will it ever be my job. My job is to be faithful to sharing the Good News. Just like the king couldn't make his daughter take medicine, I can't make him become a believer. Do I wish I could? Oh you bet! But that isn't my job. My dad always said "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it."

So, faithfulness is required. And being faithful is something I will continue to strive for. Not being the savior, because there is already a Great one. One that I know is the answer to all of life's problems. He is the medicine. The medicine we all desperately need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sight to the Blind

About 35 kilometers north of Manakara is a place called Asasaina. About 3 years ago, Ancil met a man who then invited him to his home on the side of the road. For 2 1/2 years they met under a mango tree. The man stopped coming, but the group began to grow in number. About 6 months ago, 4 leading men from the village started attending. Ever the skeptics, they sat and asked hard questions. Ancil could tell they were strong men who would eventually be strong leaders in the church, if this group ever became one. Many faithful children, women, and young people continued to come and learn. One woman even left to follow Islam for awhile but realized the truth is Jesus and returned. The men sat and asked many, many questions. Searching to find truth. A few months ago, Ancil's family came from Miami and did a vision clinic. This clinic was to strengthen existing churches and help show compassion to outsiders. These clinics were wildly successful! The gospel was shared at each p

Team Spotlight: Hermes

Hermes. I first met Hermes in 2013 during my Hands On semester. He became really close with Kai and the two of them did a lot together! I didn't really know Hermes a great deal back then. What I knew, I of course loved! He was always willing to teach about Malagasy culture and how to make coffee. And I knew he loved guitar! Hermes then and Hermes now are like 2 different people. When I moved to Madagascar, I was very excited to see him! I didn't know what our friendship had in store, but I was excited to build on what was there from before. As before, Hermes has always been willing to help. Even though he is much younger than me, I have appreciated his willingness and desire to help. Whether it is helping me know the best way to speak to someone or being the brother that makes sure no one messes with me or calling me out, in love, when I start walking in my own ways instead of the Lord's, he is always ready. It has been a joy to watch him in ministry too. I cannot tel

Brave

Two weeks ago, it rained for 2 days straight. If you need to know anything about Madagascar, its that most of the roads here are NOT paved. This means there usually isn't a road that isn't full of potholes, crevices deep enough to hide soldiers in in the event of war, and red clay that just makes everything worse when wet. This particular time, I had been traveling to a different city and didn't know that it had rained. This is problematic only on 1 road that I travel weekly. My national partner and I gear up and head for the village. On the way, I realize that the road was still very wet from the rain. This road has 2 main problem areas. The first being a small hill that is completely slick (meaning no rocks or crevices) red clay. Got up that hill. Thank goodness for 4wd! The second problem area, not as exciting. This is a picture of this specific hill when it's dry This hill is high. It has two main crevices and what isn't in the crevice are rocks. There i