Skip to main content

Hall of Fame.

In every person’s life, they have a list of people that have helped them on their way. Outside of the Lord, these are people that have helped shape me into the person I am today. After taking some time to remember each person’s defining moment in my life, I thought it would be best to honor them in a blog. It’s the absolute least I can do…but you need to know these people. And my hope is, that you will find people just like them, to challenge and stir you on to love and good works. (Hebrews 10:24)


Without a doubt, first up is my parents. I seriously have the best. We went on our first trip as a family to Wales. It was fun…and a VERY long time ago. My parents have always been the type of people to teach us that everyone is equal. My dad can tell you countless stories of living in the South and how that has shaped him. In a way, it shaped me as well. My parents have taught me that there is no one too far from grace and it doesn’t matter your skin color, accent, or home country. I will never forget what my dad said to me when I told him I felt I was being called to Madagascar. He said, “if God told you to go, who am I to tell you not to?” I know I am blessed to have supportive parents who relinquished me into a very capable Father’s hands very early on.



Next up, is this lovely lady. If you have the privilege of knowing her, you know exactly why she is on this list. My first “solo” (because I wasn’t really solo…) trip was to serve with her. There were about 6 of us on the team that went, and it was a defining moment in my life. It set the course for Madagascar. Anyways, I remember silly and fun things about this trip. One thing I will never forget, however, is how she did life. There was nothing extraordinarily fancy in the way she lived, but you could tell she was exactly where she was supposed to be. She inspired me. A then single woman, living in a foreign country, sharing the greatest news on the face of the planet with people she had never met…THAT was extraordinary to me.



Third on the list, is Monica. AKA the “missions ninja” (as facebook so kindly reminded me a few weeks ago). Literally, if you know Monica, you also know that she is like a sneak attack, conviction from the Spirit. In the process of me trying to get to East Asia, she just “happens” to tell me to pray about Madagascar. “Um….excuse me, no.” Was my response…or something to that effect anyways. But it was just a simple request to pray about it, and here I am. God can use anything to get your attention. It just so happened that Monica was His means at the time and boy am I glad she was!

Next is Ray and Libby. Ray and Libby are just about the sweetest people on the face of the planet. Libby is sweet and spicy. She has a way of delivering truth that makes you want to run to your room and cry because you know she’s right. And Mr. Ray is the strong silent type that always has a wise word when asked. They are a few of my most favorite people in the world. Mentors that always have my back and are literal prayer warriors. Libby has a direct line, I am certain of it. They are always there to help steer me the right way if I start to veer off the path. Always.






Next is my bestie for the restie, Emily. We have been kindred spirits from the beginning of our friendship. I knew immediately that Emily was the type of person I want to be around. It wasn’t long into our friendship that I realized her heart for the nations was apparent, which further bonded us. After many beach trips, dowel rod dances, and countless hours of laughter, she moved to our beloved continent of Africa. I was in her first group of Hands On to come to the continent and it was super fun. Three years later, she moved back to the States and I moved to Madagascar. She has my back and knows almost exactly what I face daily. She lived it and I find great comfort in knowing I always have her in my corner fighting for and with me.

These next two couples have greatly shaped my life in Africa. The first one led orientation for my Hands-On term. Andy’s catchphrase is “trust the process.” While, at the time, it was irritating to me, I will never forget that advice. Three years ago, and that advice is still so engrained in me that you’d think it happened yesterday. Andy and Laura are just super fun and I love any and every amount of time I get the pleasure of spending with them. 






The next couple has helped me in so many ways…I don’t think I can even count them anymore. The Newton’s have taught me, invited me into their family, fed me, laughed with me, and shared their ministry with me. Part of why I love Madagascar so much is because of them. They live the hard life because they know, and openly profess, that Jesus is worth it.


And last on my list, but certainly not least is my church. First Orlando grew me up to the woman I am today. Countless pastors and life group leaders that have poured into my life. A church that believes with everything they do, that the Gospel is worth every risk. It is for every person. There is no one too small or too great for the Kingdom and they are a prime example of it. Imperfect people serving a perfect Savior. They believe in me, support God’s call on my life, and there are not enough words to describe the appreciation and gratitude I feel for them. First Orlando is home.


So, there you have it. My hall of fame list. It’s not exhaustive by any means, but it hopefully shows the power people, who are following Christ, can have on your life. They’re not perfect people. I am not perfect. But they are my heroes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sight to the Blind

About 35 kilometers north of Manakara is a place called Asasaina. About 3 years ago, Ancil met a man who then invited him to his home on the side of the road. For 2 1/2 years they met under a mango tree. The man stopped coming, but the group began to grow in number. About 6 months ago, 4 leading men from the village started attending. Ever the skeptics, they sat and asked hard questions. Ancil could tell they were strong men who would eventually be strong leaders in the church, if this group ever became one. Many faithful children, women, and young people continued to come and learn. One woman even left to follow Islam for awhile but realized the truth is Jesus and returned. The men sat and asked many, many questions. Searching to find truth. A few months ago, Ancil's family came from Miami and did a vision clinic. This clinic was to strengthen existing churches and help show compassion to outsiders. These clinics were wildly successful! The gospel was shared at each p

Team Spotlight: Hermes

Hermes. I first met Hermes in 2013 during my Hands On semester. He became really close with Kai and the two of them did a lot together! I didn't really know Hermes a great deal back then. What I knew, I of course loved! He was always willing to teach about Malagasy culture and how to make coffee. And I knew he loved guitar! Hermes then and Hermes now are like 2 different people. When I moved to Madagascar, I was very excited to see him! I didn't know what our friendship had in store, but I was excited to build on what was there from before. As before, Hermes has always been willing to help. Even though he is much younger than me, I have appreciated his willingness and desire to help. Whether it is helping me know the best way to speak to someone or being the brother that makes sure no one messes with me or calling me out, in love, when I start walking in my own ways instead of the Lord's, he is always ready. It has been a joy to watch him in ministry too. I cannot tel

Brave

Two weeks ago, it rained for 2 days straight. If you need to know anything about Madagascar, its that most of the roads here are NOT paved. This means there usually isn't a road that isn't full of potholes, crevices deep enough to hide soldiers in in the event of war, and red clay that just makes everything worse when wet. This particular time, I had been traveling to a different city and didn't know that it had rained. This is problematic only on 1 road that I travel weekly. My national partner and I gear up and head for the village. On the way, I realize that the road was still very wet from the rain. This road has 2 main problem areas. The first being a small hill that is completely slick (meaning no rocks or crevices) red clay. Got up that hill. Thank goodness for 4wd! The second problem area, not as exciting. This is a picture of this specific hill when it's dry This hill is high. It has two main crevices and what isn't in the crevice are rocks. There i