Skip to main content

Plain Jane

When I returned from Madagascar in 2013, it was said to me, more than once, that I had just been on a long trip. An extended vacation if you will. I was astonished at this, mainly because I felt like I had just been through a war. The war wasn’t physical, although sometimes it was just as draining physically. It was a mental and spiritual war. One that would be remembered forever and would eventually lead to where I am now.

Before leaving in January, I also heard words that were very sweet, very encouraging, but also big shoes to fill. I heard things like “you’re so brave!” or “you’re my hero!” Such big encouragement to carry. The size of those words is indescribable. So, there you have it. Two different extremes. One that knows without a shadow of a doubt what the cost is to share the Gospel among people who have never heard. The other that makes it sound like a fun vacation. Well, allow me to set the record straight.

Workers on the “field” go through mundane days and exciting days. Sometimes the struggle of ease is what can have us yelling at the cart being pulled by Zebu to move faster! (Not that I have done that….) On any given morning, our 2-mile journey in the truck to language class can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour. 2 MILES PEOPLE! Nothing is easy. Let me correct myself, nothing is easy like American easy. I found myself, just this week, telling a friend I missed having things I wanted when I wanted them. Now, if I want a Snickers bar after a hard language day, I have to travel to the good grocery store on the other side of town just to get it. That trip is beyond long…so the Snickers isn’t even worth it by the time I’d get there.

So, there are those long and frustrating days, but there are also those days that give you life. I’d have them in the States too. Days where you know you’re exactly where God wants you to be. It doesn’t even have to be a big success of a day. It can be sitting in traffic, turning your head and seeing a Malagasy man staring at you’re very white skin. But one flash of my pearly whites, elicits the biggest flash of almost-all-there pearly whiteish teeth. One smile makes the whole day worth it.

I appreciate the thought that I am someone’s hero. But I have to be honest when I say, I don’t want to be. I want to live a life that glorifies God. I want to do what He has called me to. I’m no more special than the person picking up the trash from your driveway or the person handing you your Chick-Fil-A nuggets (can I get those mailed to me somehow??). I’m just regular old me, living out the call that God put on my life. These days look mostly like going to language class, being exhausted, then taking a nap. But they also look like smiles on faces of people who need hope.

My heroes do so many different things. They teach, they’re retired, they’re mothers and fathers, they’re lawyers and pastors. They’re just regular people living in their calling. They’re not perfect. Sometimes they have exciting lives, but sometimes they walk around with baby spit up on their shirt all day. They live all over the world. They live in places that the Gospel isn’t “allowed” to be. They live in very cold places. They live in extremely hot and humid places. They also live in places with air conditioning.


There is not one mold that is higher than the other. God has called all of us to be obedient. God’s call is different on all our lives. Sometimes you have to move across the country or world, but the work is just the same. Giving glory to God with our lives. Telling people who have never heard of Jesus, about His extravagant love. Oh, how the Kingdom will be impacted when we stop looking at other people’s calls, wishing they were our own. Live in the calling God has given you. Live it to the fullest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sight to the Blind

About 35 kilometers north of Manakara is a place called Asasaina. About 3 years ago, Ancil met a man who then invited him to his home on the side of the road. For 2 1/2 years they met under a mango tree. The man stopped coming, but the group began to grow in number. About 6 months ago, 4 leading men from the village started attending. Ever the skeptics, they sat and asked hard questions. Ancil could tell they were strong men who would eventually be strong leaders in the church, if this group ever became one. Many faithful children, women, and young people continued to come and learn. One woman even left to follow Islam for awhile but realized the truth is Jesus and returned. The men sat and asked many, many questions. Searching to find truth. A few months ago, Ancil's family came from Miami and did a vision clinic. This clinic was to strengthen existing churches and help show compassion to outsiders. These clinics were wildly successful! The gospel was shared at each p

Team Spotlight: Hermes

Hermes. I first met Hermes in 2013 during my Hands On semester. He became really close with Kai and the two of them did a lot together! I didn't really know Hermes a great deal back then. What I knew, I of course loved! He was always willing to teach about Malagasy culture and how to make coffee. And I knew he loved guitar! Hermes then and Hermes now are like 2 different people. When I moved to Madagascar, I was very excited to see him! I didn't know what our friendship had in store, but I was excited to build on what was there from before. As before, Hermes has always been willing to help. Even though he is much younger than me, I have appreciated his willingness and desire to help. Whether it is helping me know the best way to speak to someone or being the brother that makes sure no one messes with me or calling me out, in love, when I start walking in my own ways instead of the Lord's, he is always ready. It has been a joy to watch him in ministry too. I cannot tel

Brave

Two weeks ago, it rained for 2 days straight. If you need to know anything about Madagascar, its that most of the roads here are NOT paved. This means there usually isn't a road that isn't full of potholes, crevices deep enough to hide soldiers in in the event of war, and red clay that just makes everything worse when wet. This particular time, I had been traveling to a different city and didn't know that it had rained. This is problematic only on 1 road that I travel weekly. My national partner and I gear up and head for the village. On the way, I realize that the road was still very wet from the rain. This road has 2 main problem areas. The first being a small hill that is completely slick (meaning no rocks or crevices) red clay. Got up that hill. Thank goodness for 4wd! The second problem area, not as exciting. This is a picture of this specific hill when it's dry This hill is high. It has two main crevices and what isn't in the crevice are rocks. There i