Skip to main content

Rains in Africa

Rain. Or lack thereof is what is happening in Madagascar at the current moment. You will see gray clouds looming overhead, but nothing falls out of them. And if something does, its for seconds, at the MOST minutes long. Drought, is certainly here in the capital city of Antananarivo.

I haven’t been in the city long, so I don’t claim to know much of it. What I do know, is that the streets are crowded with cars and people alike. During lunchtime, you can see the “sidewalks” filled with little kids in their blue smocks, going home for break. A few hours later, those same children fill the sidewalks again, going back to school. The cycle repeats itself every day.

Since it is currently Saturday here, the pace is quite a bit slower, which my little town Madagascar heart loves. It is a welcomed relief from all the hustle and bustle. When I’ve been driving around, I’ve noticed many Malagasy people staring. This is not an uncommon occurrence, because of my very pale white skin. However, when people stare, I tend to smile and wave back. It catches them off guard and they get the biggest smile on their faces.


That is one of my favorite things to do here. Make people smile. Since there is a drought right now, people have little to smile about. And that is drought on top of poverty and famine…life is not easy in Madagascar. 

The Holy Spirit is so gracious to us all the time. He intercedes on our behalf to God the Father...even when we don't know how to pray. I don't even know where to begin when praying for rain. I want to pray for it as earnestly as Elijah prayed for rain. But I want to rejoice even if it doesn't come when I think it should.

In God's perfect timing is when we see things happen in our lives. Things aren't always easy. The waiting is not always easy. BUT the waiting is ALWAYS good. The rain is coming. I don't know when, but I know my God is good and rain will come. Surely as the sun will rise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out West

When you go into a village, as a foreigner, it is important to follow the rules of culture. Many times, being a foreigner in a place so far outside of the norm, can get you into trouble. I won't go into the deep details of why Malagasy people in the village are hesitant towards white foreigners...but let your imagination take you to Pocahontas and you have a similar idea. Most villages are so far out, it is hard to get to them. This is the exact reason much of Madagascar remains untouched by the Gospel. The villages are hard to get to and a lot of learning is still to be done once you arrive at these far off places. A village is just a bundle of a few modest Malagasy homes within a small area. Sometimes, though, villages can stretch from the main group of homes to one outlying home that can be kilometers away. Visiting these outlying homes requires lots of travel by foot...something I am not well adept at doing. Through bushes, sand, rocks, and sometimes water, the people on ...

Death Destroyed

"People are dying every day with the only knowledge of God that will send them to hell."  David Platt Death in Madagascar happens every day, just like it does in America. Madagascar's population is estimated to be a little over 25 million. According to a UN estimate, every day, about 88 people in Madagascar die. That is about 32,000 each year, according to their estimate. There are so many rituals when it comes to death here. So many times, when I hear of a death in a village I've visited, I wonder how much time was spent preparing that person for the judgement that came upon their death. There are many rituals that are done to ensure the safety and survival of the people still alive here on Earth. Appeasing the ancestors is a huge part of life, and in many cases, these rituals are done daily. Makes John 14:6, "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'", constantly reside in m...